Monday, November 19, 2007

Yes, Thank You

Since I haven't updated in a while (and honestly, I hope to soon!) I thought I would share the potent tidbits from this wonderful article I read. The New York Times has the full piece.
clipped from www.nytimes.com

Years ago, after I took an ambitious friend to a prominent person’s party, he asked for an address so he could send a note. I cringed, but should not have been surprised.

The word etiquette comes from the French for ticket, and Emily Post’s popularity 85 years ago came at a time when a middle class was emerging in this country, and people needed manners tutorials to advance vocationally and socially.

Even back then, Ms. Post acknowledged that letter writing was a chore.

Today, those who hate writing thank-you notes will be pleased to know that for dinner parties, even sticklers suggest you have to write them only if there was a written invitation.

And it has become more acceptable to phone or send an e-mail message of thanks, too, as long as it’s not from a cab two minutes after leaving. The point is to tell a host that the evening has lingered pleasantly in your mind, that it wasn’t taken for granted.

“But I don’t think you can ever write too many thank-you notes,”
 blog it

No comments: